UPDATE: Crews repair cracked gas meter seal, Cloquet students back in class

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

UPDATE: Students and faculty at the Cloquet High School and Middle School are back in class Thursday afternoon after authorities repaired a cracked seal at a gas meter on campus.

According to the Cloquet School District, a “strong” gas odor was reported around 7:30 a.m., and people inside the buildings evacuated.

Utility crews identified a cracked seal at a gas meter that was releasing a gas odor near a building air intake. The odor was apparently entering the building through the intake.

Crews repaired the crack seal, and school began two hours late at both sites.

Officials say there was no threat to student safety.

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

Students and staff at Cloquet Middle School and High School have evacuated the buildings Thursday morning while the Cloquet Area Fire Department responds to a possible gas leak.

According to fire officials, the call was first reported around 7:56 a.m.

Parents have been notified about the situation. No word at this point where the students and staff evacuated to.

The schools are anticipating a two-hour delay, according to school district officials.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Briggs LeSavage

Briggs LeSavage

TOP STORIES

KBJR 6 Weather Authority

Ashland
37°
Hayward
40°
Superior
33°
Hibbing
32°
International Falls
31°
Grand Marais
30°
Ironwood
36°
Siren
38°
Solon Springs
34°
Munising
39°
Brainerd
37°
Bemidji
31°
Aitkin
32°
Silver Bay
32°
Cloquet
34°
Cook
30°
Ely
32°
Grand Rapids
32°
Mora
36°
Moose Lake
36°
Orr
30°
Two Harbors
32°
Hinckley
37°
Connect with KBJR 6
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content