Prosecutor won’t seek death penalty in Catholic store attack

ST. LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis County prosecutor Wesley Bell says he won’t seek the death penalty for a man accused of killing a woman and sexually assaulting two others inside a religious supplies store.

Bell said Friday in a statement to The Associated Press that he will seek life in prison without the possibility of parole for Thomas Bruce.

Bruce is charged with first-degree murder and other crimes in the Nov. 19 attack at the Catholic Supply store near the St. Louis suburb of Ballwin. Authorities say he fatally shot 53-year-old Jamie Schmidt when she refused his sexual demands.

Bell expressed his opposition to the death penalty while campaigning last year, when he unseated 28-year incumbent Bob McCulloch.

James G’Sell, a deacon at Schmidt’s church speaking on behalf of her family, says Schmidt’s husband supports Bell’s decision.

Associated Press

Associated Press

TOP STORIES

KBJR 6 Weather Authority

Ashland
-11°
Hayward
-5°
Superior
-3°
Hibbing
International Falls
-20°
Grand Marais
Ironwood
-9°
Siren
-10°
Solon Springs
Munising
Brainerd
-0°
Bemidji
-3°
Aitkin
-2°
Silver Bay
Cloquet
-11°
Cook
Ely
-18°
Grand Rapids
-10°
Mora
-2°
Moose Lake
-13°
Orr
-9°
Two Harbors
Hinckley
-4°
Connect with KBJR 6
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content