Trump campaign threatens lawsuit over security costs

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — President Donald Trump’s campaign is threatening to sue Minneapolis for trying to force it to pay $530,000 in security costs for this week’s rally in the city.

Trump’s campaign accused Mayor Jacob Frey, who has been critical of the president, of “conjuring a phony and outlandish bill for security” at Thursday’s rally at Target Center.

The campaign said arena management attempted to pass the costs to the campaign under threat of withholding use of the arena. It also said the sum was far more than that for a 2009 health care rally at the building by President Barack Obama.

The Star Tribune says the city based its estimate on methodology for past major events like the 2018 Super Bowl and Final Four.

Frey said when Trump’s rally was announced last month that Trump’s “message of hatred” was unwelcome.

Neither Minneapolis’ city attorney nor the operator of Target Center immediately responded to messages Tuesday.

Associated Press

Associated Press

TOP STORIES

KBJR 6 Weather Authority

Ashland
39°
Hayward
43°
Superior
45°
Hibbing
41°
International Falls
44°
Grand Marais
39°
Ironwood
41°
Siren
44°
Solon Springs
43°
Munising
40°
Brainerd
48°
Bemidji
45°
Aitkin
43°
Silver Bay
39°
Cloquet
39°
Cook
43°
Ely
43°
Grand Rapids
41°
Mora
43°
Moose Lake
43°
Orr
41°
Two Harbors
41°
Hinckley
43°
Connect with KBJR 6
Top Stories
AHL At A Glance

NOTE: Two points are awarded for a win, one point for an overtime or shootout loss. ___ Bakersfield 6, Stockton 2 Laval 5, Providence 4,

Read More »
Scroll to top
Skip to content