Can of Worms Project Construction Underway
Twin Ports Interchange project traffic impacts April 1 – April 19
Duluth, Minn. – Motorists traveling in and around the Twin Ports Interchange will experience closures and traffic shifts from April 1 through April 19 in Duluth.
Thursday, April 1
· Southbound I-35 just north of the tunnel near 14th Avenue East will undergo temporary lane closures between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. as crews Install PPCB along the lane edge lines. This work is needed as crews prepare for installation of an overhead warning system for the Twin Ports Interchange project. The right lane will close first, followed by the left lane as needed.
· Southbound I-35 will close near 27th Avenue West from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. This closure is required to relocate the currently placed concrete barrier for a southbound traffic change that will begin Monday, April 5.
Friday, April 2
· Right lane closures will occur on southbound I-35 just north of the tunnel near 14th Avenue East for installation of the overhead warning sign.
· From 9 p.m. Friday evening to 4 a.m. Saturday morning, both left and right lanes of southbound I-35 will be closed. Traffic will be detoured at 26th Avenue East to London Road, to Superior Street, to Lake Avenue during the closure.
Monday, April 5
· The intersection of Piedmont Avenue and West 1st Street will close through May.
· Southbound I-35 traffic will be in single lane configuration on the existing northbound side from Garfield Avenue to 27th Avenue West. This configuration will be in place into October.
· The ramp from westbound I-535 to southbound I-35 will close until fall of 2023.
· The ramp from westbound I-535 to northbound I-35 will close for inspection between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Detours will be in place.
Monday, April 12
· First Street (21st Street West to 22nd Street West), and 21st Street West (Superior Street alley to 1st Street) will close for utility construction.
Monday, April 12
· Construction will begin as a part of the Superior Street Reconstruction project. This phase will complete work between 1st Avenue West and 3rd Avenue West.
· 1st Avenue West through East of 3rd Avenue West will be closed to vehicular traffic. Once the concrete has been poured and cured on 2nd Avenue West, crews will open 2nd Avenue West and close 3rd Avenue West to complete the intersection.
· The City of Duluth has prioritized pedestrian traffic during regular business hours so that pedestrians can access businesses located within each phase.
Monday, April 19
· The ramp from southbound I-35 to eastbound I-535 will close for inspection between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Detours will be in place. This closure was originally planned for April 5 and has been rescheduled.
Check MnDOT 511 before traveling for information on road conditions, closures, and detour routes.
Twin Ports Interchange Hotline: 218-343-3748.