Can of Worms Project Construction Underway
I-35 in both directions: Between 27th Avenue West and Mesaba Avenue, the roadway is reduced to one lane until August 9.
I-35 in Duluth at the 27th Avenue West bridge, daytime lane closures due to bridge reconstruction for the Twin Ports Interchange project.
No restrictions on weeknights, weekends, and Holiday weekends.
Loads wider than 12′ can call for District approval.
Tuesday, Sept. 7
- MnDOT contractors will be starting work on drainage structure repairs between 5th Avenue West and Lake Avenue, and work will take place on both northbound and southbound lanes.
- Lane and shoulder closures will be taking place during daytime hours and in areas where work is occurring.
- A nighttime closure on southbound lanes will be needed at a later date.
- Construction could last through October.
Wednesday/Thursday, Sept. 8 & 9
- A portion of Duluth’s I-35 will be closed for Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) crews to work on drainage structure repairs.
- A daytime on-ramp closure at 5th Ave. W to northbound I-35 will take place Sept. 8 – 9, and again Sept. 13 – 15.
- The closures will be between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Traffic will be detoured to Lake Ave. ramp to northbound I-35.
- The construction will take place on both northbound and southbound lanes. Lane and shoulder closures should be expected.
- Work is expected to last through October.
Friday, Sept. 10
- The upper section of Hwy 2 will reopen.
- Check-point passes will no longer be needed to drive on Hwy 2, however, they will still be needed to drive on the closed section on Hwy 1 (between the Hwy 1 and Hwy 2 intersection and Lankinen Rd).
Friday, Sept. 17
- Heading to Duluth? Anticipate longer than normal delays due to the Twin Ports Interchange project as I-35 is single lane traffic both northbound and southbound.
Saturday, Sept. 18
- I-35 and Hwy 61 in Duluth will be detoured for the North Shore Inline Marathon.
- The detour will go through downtown with some adjustments due to construction.
- Motorists should expect delays, and roads will reopen in the early afternoon.
Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 20-21
- Duluth’s Aerial Lift Bridge will be getting its routine inspection to meet state and federal compliance checks.
- The bridge will drop to one lane of traffic.
- One sidewalk will also be closed but the other will be open for pedestrians.
- One-way traffic direction will be controlled by the traffic lights on the bridge.
Monday, Sept. 27
- Southbound I-35 traffic will be routed onto Lower Michigan Street near Garfield Avenue and back onto I-35 just north of 27th Avenue West. This configuration will be in place through fall of 2022.
- Southbound I-35 to southbound I-535 will close.
- The signed detour will follow southbound I-35 to the Hwy 2 Bong Bridge.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
· Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
· Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
· Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
· Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
· Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
· Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
Check MnDOT 511 before traveling for information on road conditions, closures, and detour routes.
Twin Ports Interchange Hotline: 218-343-3748