Can of Worms Project Construction Underway
I-35 in both directions: Between 27th Avenue West and Mesaba Avenue, the roadway is reduced to one lane until August 9.
I-35 in Duluth at the 27th Avenue West bridge, daytime lane closures due to bridge reconstruction for the Twin Ports Interchange project.
No restrictions on weeknights, weekends, and Holiday weekends.
Loads wider than 12′ can call for District approval.
June 8 – June 18
- Routine maintenance work on the Aerial Lift Bridge prompts traffic to drop to one lane intermittently throughout this 10-day project.
- The one-lane traffic flow will be controlled by traffic signals at the bridge.
- Traffic will be fully restored this weekend to accommodate a large volume of vehicles.
- Weekday work hours will be from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- One sidewalk will always be open to pedestrian traffic while work is in progress.
June 11 – 14
- A small portion of South Lake Avenue will be closed starting Friday, at 7 a.m. through Monday, at 5 p.m.
- Crews will be placing concrete and asphalt on the road.
June 18, 19
- Grandma’s Marathon will pose delays for drivers coming to Duluth. Click here for further detour details.
Monday, June 21
- Work happening on the I-35 Thompson Hill Rest Area includes resurfacing the rest area roadway and parking lots, regrading the truck parking lot to better accommodate truck parking, and replacing all sidewalks and trails to improve accessibility to and from the Visitor Center.
- Truck traffic will be unable to access the lot.
- Work will be staged so pedestrians and passenger vehicles can access rest area facilities.
Monday, June 21
- Construction begins on southbound Hwy 53 near Pike Lake and Twig from just north of Midway Rd to just north of County Rd 8.
- The beginning of the project will start with temporary crossover construction that will require left/passing lane closures on both north and southbound directions of Hwy 53.
- Minor delays are to be expected.
- Following the construction of the temporary crossovers, traffic will be switched to head-to-head traffic on the northbound lanes for construction to begin on the southbound lanes.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
· Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
· Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
· Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
· Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
· Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
· Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
Check MnDOT 511 before traveling for information on road conditions, closures, and detour routes.
Twin Ports Interchange Hotline: 218-343-3748