EVELETH, MN-- The City of Eveleth presented its first Life Saving Award Thursday night after one woman's quick thinking saved a baby's life.
It was a scary scene in Eveleth earlier this month when Shannon Bert's 10-month-old daughter, Willow needed help, fast.
"I'm screaming 'someone help me she's choking'," said Bert.
Not knowing what to do, she ran her daughter across the street to the pharmacy for help.
"I get over to the drug store. I go to the back where the pharmacy guy is and I'm like 'she's choking' and before he could really grab her this lady came out of no where," said Bert.
Life-long Eveleth resident, Megan Groom, was driving down the city's main street when she saw a fellow mother in distress and sprang into action.
"It all kind of happened so fast and it was just instinct that took over," said Groom. "I was ready to help if I needed to and it turns out I did, and that's when the adrenaline kicked in."
Groom's quick thinking and CPR skills saved Willow's life.
After everything was said and done, she went on her way, but two weeks later her community came together to show their appreciation and gave Groom the first ever Life Saving award from the City of Eveleth.
"The people in our communities that go above and beyond and do really, truly heroic acts, like Megan did, definitely need to be reconigized," said Therese Elverum, EMS Operations Supervisor for the City of Eveleth.
Groom said she is honored and thankful to have been in the right place at the right time, but for Bert and her family, Groom's heroic actions will never be forgotten.
"I don't think there is anything that could justify the gratefulness I've got for her. I don't think any award or any amount of flowers or thank you would be enough for her," said Bert. "She doesn't know what a gift she gave my family."
Bert tells us baby Willow is doing just fine, with no complications from that day.
If you are interested in taking CPR classes you can check out resources here.