Skip to Content

UPDATE: 1 in custody after Superior ‘dispute’

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
IMG_4282 (1)

SUPERIOR, WI-- Superior Police were dispatched Thursday morning to the 1900 block of Banks Avenue to investigate a neighbor dispute.

When police arrived, around 6:25 a.m., they learned that the upstairs tenant of the duplex had allegedly threatened the downstairs tenant with a hammer and at least one knife.

According to the release, the suspect was also alleged to have bitten the victim.

The suspect refused to speak with officers about the allegations and instead while holding a lighter stated to one of the officers that they were going to “blow the duplex up,” according to authorities.

The suspect then retreated into the duplex and stopped communicating with officers, they then evacuated the lower apartment.

Because the suspect was allegedly armed with a knife, officers attempted to de-escalate the situation.

The Superior Fire Department assisted in shutting off the gas to the duplex and Superior Water, Light, and Power (SWL&P) shut off the electric and water.

The Emergency Response Team and the crisis negotiators arrived on scene and attempted for several hours to get the suspect out of the house.

After four hours of negotiation, authorities attempt to dislodge the barricaded suspect and deployed seven non-burning chemical irritant rounds into the apartment which caused thick black smoke.

Moments later the suspect jumped out of the second-story window on the Southside of the apartment; the suspect was immediately detained by officers and turned over to Mayo Clinic Ambulance paramedics and members from the Superior Fire Department.

The suspect was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated and treated. It is unknown at this time if the suspect has any injuries.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and members of the UW Public Safety department were called in to take over the crime scene and the Wisconsin Department of Criminal Investigation was called to the scene to investigate the fire.

The Superior Fire Department arrived on scene shortly before noon to respond to a fire in the house.

The woman inside jumped from the window on the 2nd floor of the home. It is unclear if she suffered any injuries.

There is still no threat to the community according to police.

Police attempted to get the subject out of the window by deploying tear gas.

SUPERIOR, WI -- Superior Police said there is no threat to the public as they and the Emergency Response Team responded to a disturbance on Banks Avenue in Superior Thursday morning.

"As the call unfolded, it became apparent that a more robust response was necessary to deescalate the situation," Superior Police said.

Around 9:37 a.m., police could be heard calling for the suspect to exit the home.

"This is the Superior Police Department. You need to exit the building through the front door with your hands up. We want to make sure that you are safe and everyone else is safe. We don't want anyone to get hurt, come out with your hands up."

Based on department protocol and the "uncooperativeness" of the person causing the disturbance, police called in the Emergency Response Team.

While Superior Police say the disturbance is "contained," the public is asked to stay away from the area.

SUPERIOR, WI -- Superior Police say there is no indication of a public safety threat as authorities respond to a situation on Banks Avenue in Superior Thursday morning.

Superior Police would not confirm any other details, including what kind of incident they are responding to.

Police arrived just before 6:30 a.m.

Briggs LeSavage

Skip to content