SHAKOPEE, MN -- The 2020 Minnesota Renaissance Festival scheduled to take place August 21 through October 3, will no longer be happening this year.
The Ren Fest leaders announced to their patrons and fest participants via Facebook on Wednesday that the festivities will be postponed and resume in 2021.
"We understand the impact of this decision on so many wonderful artisans, performers, participants, volunteers, and countless families seeking a place to celebrate and enjoy a touch of normalcy that our yearly festival tradition brings," said Ren Fest spokesperson.
According to the Facebook post, the last five months, festival workers had been trying to develop a plan to incorporate safety measures for participants to still be able to attend and remain healthy.
However, with where the number of COVID-19 cases stand today, hosting the festival would be a risk.
"Although we disagree with the current State directives that prevent a spacious outdoor venue from opening, we recognize the difficulty of the State government’s task. We share their goal of keeping Minnesotans safe and healthy," said Ren Fest spokesperson.
The Minnesota Renaissance Festival will return in 2021, celebrating its 50th Anniversary.