Skip to Content

UPDATE: Crews repair cracked gas meter seal, Cloquet students back in class

UPDATE: Students and faculty at the Cloquet High School and Middle School are back in class Thursday afternoon after authorities repaired a cracked seal at a gas meter on campus.

According to the Cloquet School District, a “strong” gas odor was reported around 7:30 a.m., and people inside the buildings evacuated.

Utility crews identified a cracked seal at a gas meter that was releasing a gas odor near a building air intake. The odor was apparently entering the building through the intake.

Crews repaired the crack seal, and school began two hours late at both sites.

Officials say there was no threat to student safety.

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

Students and staff at Cloquet Middle School and High School have evacuated the buildings Thursday morning while the Cloquet Area Fire Department responds to a possible gas leak.

According to fire officials, the call was first reported around 7:56 a.m.

Parents have been notified about the situation. No word at this point where the students and staff evacuated to.

The schools are anticipating a two-hour delay, according to school district officials.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Briggs LeSavage

Skip to content